WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. denial, speech act
- usage: the act of refusing to comply (as with a request); "it resulted in a complete denial of his privileges"
- 2. denial, disaffirmation, assertion, averment, asseveration
- usage: the act of asserting that something alleged is not true
- 3. denial, defense mechanism, defense reaction, defence mechanism, defence reaction, defense, defence
- usage: (psychiatry) a defense mechanism that denies painful thoughts
- 4. abnegation, self-abnegation, denial, self-denial, self-renunciation, selflessness, self-sacrifice, renunciation, forgoing, forswearing
- usage: renunciation of your own interests in favor of the interests of others
- 5. defense, defence, denial, demurrer, due process, due process of law
- usage: a defendant's answer or plea denying the truth of the charges against him; "he gave evidence for the defense"
All rights reserved.
See also: denial (Dictionary)