- 1. flood, inundation, deluge, torrent, batch, deal, flock, good deal, great deal, hatful, heap, lot, mass, mess, mickle, mint, mountain, muckle, passel, peck, pile, plenty, pot, quite a little, raft, sight, slew, spate, stack, tidy sum, wad
- usage: an overwhelming number or amount; "a flood of requests"; "a torrent of abuse"
- 2. downpour, cloudburst, deluge, waterspout, torrent, pelter, soaker, rain, rainfall
- usage: a heavy rain
- 3. flood, inundation, deluge, alluvion, geological phenomenon
- usage: the rising of a body of water and its overflowing onto normally dry land; "plains fertilized by annual inundations"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. deluge, flood, inundate, swamp, fill, fill up, make full
- usage: fill quickly beyond capacity; as with a liquid; "the basement was inundated after the storm"; "The images flooded his mind"
- 2. overwhelm, deluge, flood out, charge, saddle, burden
- usage: charge someone with too many tasks
- 3. inundate, deluge, submerge, flood
- usage: fill or cover completely, usually with water
All rights reserved.
See also: deluge (Dictionary)