- 1. delay, detain, hold up, decelerate, slow, slow down, slow up, retard
- usage: cause to be slowed down or delayed; "Traffic was delayed by the bad weather"; "she delayed the work that she didn't want to perform"
- 2. delay, wait, hold off, hold back
- usage: act later than planned, scheduled, or required; "Don't delay your application to graduate school or else it won't be considered"
- 3. stay, detain, delay, check, retard, delay
- usage: stop or halt; "Please stay the bloodshed!"
- 4. check, retard, delay, change, alter, modify
- usage: slow the growth or development of; "The brain damage will retard the child's language development"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. delayed, retarded (vs. precocious)
- usage: not as far along as normal in development
All rights reserved.
See also: delayed (Dictionary)