WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. deference, respect, politeness, civility
- usage: a courteous expression (by word or deed) of esteem or regard; "his deference to her wishes was very flattering"; "be sure to give my respects to the dean"
- 2. deference, respect, respectfulness, courtesy, good manners
- usage: courteous regard for people's feelings; "in deference to your wishes"; "out of respect for his privacy"
- 3. complaisance, compliance, compliancy, obligingness, deference, agreeableness, agreeability
- usage: a disposition or tendency to yield to the will of others
All rights reserved.
See also: deference (Dictionary)