- 1. defeat, licking, ending, conclusion, finish, failure
- usage: an unsuccessful ending to a struggle or contest; "it was a narrow defeat"; "the army's only defeat"; "they suffered a convincing licking"
- 2. frustration, defeat, disappointment, letdown
- usage: the feeling that accompanies an experience of being thwarted in attaining your goals
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. get the better of, overcome, defeat
- usage: win a victory over; "You must overcome all difficulties"; "defeat your enemies"; "He overcame his shyness"; "He overcame his infirmity"; "Her anger got the better of her and she blew up"
- 2. kill, shoot down, defeat, vote down, vote out, veto, blackball, negative
- usage: thwart the passage of; "kill a motion"; "he shot down the student's proposal"
All rights reserved.
See also: defeat (Dictionary)