WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. declare, state, say, tell
- usage: state emphatically and authoritatively; "He declared that he needed more money to carry out the task he was charged with"
- 2. announce, declare, state, say, tell
- usage: announce publicly or officially; "The President declared war"
- 3. declare, affirm, verify, assert, avow, aver, swan, swear
- usage: state firmly; "He declared that he was innocent"
- 4. declare, adjudge, hold, evaluate, pass judgment, judge
- usage: declare to be; "She was declared incompetent"; "judge held that the defendant was innocent"
- 5. declare, authorize, authorise, pass, clear
- usage: authorize payments of; "declare dividends"
- 6. declare, play
- usage: designate (a trump suit or no-trump) with the final bid of a hand
- 7. declare, state, say, tell
- usage: make a declaration (of dutiable goods) to a customs official; "Do you have anything to declare?"
- 8. declare, proclaim, exclaim, promulgate
- usage: proclaim one's support, sympathy, or opinion for or against; "His wife declared at once for moving to the West Coast"
All rights reserved.
See also: declare (Dictionary)