WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. suspend, debar, expel, throw out, kick out
- usage: bar temporarily; from school, office, etc.
- 2. debar, forefend, forfend, obviate, deflect, avert, head off, stave off, fend off, avoid, ward off, prevent, forestall, foreclose, preclude, forbid
- usage: prevent the occurrence of; prevent from happening; "Let's avoid a confrontation"; "head off a confrontation"; "avert a strike"
- 3. bar, debar, exclude, forbid, prohibit, interdict, proscribe, veto, disallow, nix
- usage: prevent from entering; keep out; "He was barred from membership in the club"
All rights reserved.
See also: debar (Dictionary)