WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. stifle, dampen, suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer, curb
- usage: smother or suppress; "Stifle your curiosity"
- 2. moisten, wash, dampen, wet
- usage: make moist; "The dew moistened the meadows"
- 3. muffle, mute, dull, damp, dampen, tone down, soften
- usage: deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping
- 4. dampen, weaken
- usage: reduce the amplitude (of oscillations or waves)
- 5. dampen, deaden, damp, dampen, damp, soften, weaken, break
- usage: make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message"
- 6. dampen, check, retard, delay
- usage: check; keep in check (a fire)
- 7. dampen, damp, soften, weaken, break, deaden, blunt
- usage: lessen in force or effect; "soften a shock"; "break a fall"
All rights reserved.
See also: dampen (Dictionary)