Synonyms of cry
- 1. cry, outcry, call, yell, shout, vociferation, utterance, vocalization
- usage: a loud utterance; often in protest or opposition; "the speaker was interrupted by loud cries from the rear of the audience"
- 2. cry, yell, utterance, vocalization
- usage: a loud utterance of emotion (especially when inarticulate); "a cry of rage"; "a yell of pain"
- 3. war cry, rallying cry, battle cry, cry, watchword, motto, slogan, catchword, shibboleth
- usage: a slogan used to rally support for a cause; "a cry to arms"; "our watchword will be `democracy'"
- 4. cry, effusion, gush, outburst, blowup, ebullition
- usage: a fit of weeping; "had a good cry"
- 5. cry, sound
- usage: the characteristic utterance of an animal; "animal cries filled the night"
- 1. shout, shout out, cry, call, yell, scream, holler, hollo, squall, utter, emit, let out, let loose
- usage: utter a sudden loud cry; "she cried with pain when the doctor inserted the needle"; "I yelled to her from the window but she couldn't hear me"
- 2. cry, weep, express emotion, express feelings
- usage: shed tears because of sadness, rage, or pain; "She cried bitterly when she heard the news of his death"; "The girl in the wheelchair wept with frustration when she could not get up the stairs"
- 3. exclaim, cry, cry out, outcry, call out, shout, express, verbalize, verbalise, utter, give tongue to
- usage: utter aloud; often with surprise, horror, or joy; "`I won!' he exclaimed"; "`Help!' she cried"; "`I'm here,' the mother shouted when she saw her child looking lost"
- 4. cry, blazon out, announce, denote
- usage: proclaim or announce in public; "before we had newspapers, a town crier would cry the news"; "He cried his merchandise in the market square"
- 5. cry, want, need, require
- usage: demand immediate action; "This situation is crying for attention"
- 6. cry, utter, emit, let out, let loose
- usage: utter a characteristic sound; "The cat was crying"
- 7. cry, change, alter, modify
- usage: bring into a particular state by crying; "The little boy cried himself to sleep"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of cry (Dictionary)