Synonyms of crushing
- 1. suppression, crushing, quelling, stifling, prevention, bar
- usage: forceful prevention; putting down by power or authority; "the suppression of heresy"; "the quelling of the rebellion"; "the stifling of all dissent"
- 1. oppress, suppress, crush
- usage: come down on or keep down by unjust use of one's authority; "The government oppresses political activists"
- 2. squash, crush, squelch, mash, squeeze, press
- usage: to compress with violence, out of natural shape or condition; "crush an aluminum can"; "squeeze a lemon"
- 3. beat, beat out, crush, shell, trounce, vanquish, get the better of, overcome, defeat
- usage: come out better in a competition, race, or conflict; "Agassi beat Becker in the tennis championship"; "We beat the competition"; "Harvard defeated Yale in the last football game"
- 4. crush, break up, fragment, fragmentize, fragmentise
- usage: break into small pieces; "The car crushed the toy"
- 5. crush, smash, demolish, humiliate, mortify, chagrin, humble, abase
- usage: humiliate or depress completely; "She was crushed by his refusal of her invitation"; "The death of her son smashed her"
- 6. jam, crush, bruise, contuse
- usage: crush or bruise; "jam a toe"
- 7. break down, crush, change, alter, modify
- usage: make ineffective; "Martin Luther King tried to break down racial discrimination"
- 8. crush, break, separate, split up, fall apart, come apart
- usage: become injured, broken, or distorted by pressure; "The plastic bottle crushed against the wall"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. crushing, devastating, destructive (vs. constructive)
- usage: physically or spiritually devastating; often used in combination; "a crushing blow"; "a crushing rejection"; "bone-crushing"
All rights reserved.