- 1. cosmopolitan, cosmopolite, sophisticate, man of the world
- usage: a sophisticated person who has travelled in many countries
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. cosmopolitan (vs. endemic), widely distributed
- usage: growing or occurring in many parts of the world; "a cosmopolitan herb"; "cosmopolitan in distribution"
- 2. cosmopolitan (vs. provincial), traveled, travelled
- usage: composed of people from or at home in many parts of the world; especially not provincial in attitudes or interests; "his cosmopolitan benevolence impartially extended to all races and to all creeds"- T.B. Macaulay; "the ancient and cosmopolitan societies of Syria and Egypt"; "that queer, cosmopolitan, rather sinister crowd found around the Marseilles docks"
- 3. cosmopolitan, ecumenical, oecumenical, general, universal, worldwide, world-wide, comprehensive (vs. noncomprehensive)
- usage: of worldwide scope or applicability; "an issue of cosmopolitan import"; "the shrewdest political and ecumenical comment of our time"- Christopher Morley; "universal experience"
All rights reserved.
See also: cosmopolitan (Dictionary)