Synonyms of contrived
- 1. plan, project, contrive, design, create by mental act, create mentally
- usage: make or work out a plan for; devise; "They contrived to murder their boss"; "design a new sales strategy"; "plan an attack"
- 2. invent, contrive, devise, excogitate, formulate, forge, create by mental act, create mentally
- usage: come up with (an idea, plan, explanation, theory, or principle) after a mental effort; "excogitate a way to measure the speed of light"
- 3. project, cast, contrive, throw, send, direct
- usage: put or send forth; "She threw the flashlight beam into the corner"; "The setting sun threw long shadows"; "cast a spell"; "cast a warm light"
- 1. contrived, planned (vs. unplanned)
- usage: showing effects of planning or manipulation; "a novel with a contrived ending"
- 2. artificial, contrived, hokey, stilted, affected (vs. unaffected), unnatural
- usage: artificially formal; "that artificial humility that her husband hated"; "contrived coyness"; "a stilted letter of acknowledgment"; "when people try to correct their speech they develop a stilted pronunciation"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of contrived (Dictionary)