- 1. incorporate, contain, comprise, include
- usage: include or contain; have as a component; "A totally new idea is comprised in this paper"; "The record contains many old songs from the 1930's"
- 2. hold, bear, carry, contain, include
- usage: contain or hold; have within; "The jar carries wine"; "The canteen holds fresh water"; "This can contains water"
- 3. control, hold in, hold, contain, check, curb, moderate, restrain, keep, keep back, hold back
- usage: lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits; "moderate your alcohol intake"; "hold your tongue"; "hold your temper"; "control your anger"
- 4. contain, be
- usage: be divisible by; "24 contains 6"
- 5. contain, take, hold, be
- usage: be capable of holding or containing; "This box won't take all the items"; "The flask holds one gallon"
- 6. check, turn back, arrest, stop, contain, hold back, defend
- usage: hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of; "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. contained, controlled (vs. uncontrolled)
- usage: gotten under control; "the oil spill is contained"
All rights reserved.
See also: contained (Dictionary)