- 1. compass, navigational instrument
- usage: navigational instrument for finding directions
- 2. scope, range, reach, orbit, compass, ambit, extent
- usage: an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control: "the range of a supersonic jet"; "a piano has a greater range than the human voice"; "the ambit of municipal legislation"; "within the compass of this article"; "within the scope of an investigation"; "outside the reach of the law"; "in the political orbit of a world power"
- 3. compass, range, reach, grasp, capability, capableness, potentiality
- usage: the limit of capability; "within the compass of education"
- 4. compass, drafting instrument
- usage: drafting instrument used for drawing circles
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. compass, achieve, accomplish, attain, reach
- usage: bring about; accomplish; "This writer attempts more than his talents can compass"
- 2. circumnavigate, compass, circle
- usage: travel around, either by plane or ship; "We compassed the earth"
- 3. grok, get the picture, comprehend, savvy, dig, grasp, compass, apprehend, understand
- usage: get the meaning of something; "Do you comprehend the meaning of this letter?"
All rights reserved.
See also: compass (Dictionary)