Synonyms of chance
- 1. opportunity, chance, possibility, possibleness
- usage: a possibility due to a favorable combination of circumstances; "the holiday gave us the opportunity to visit Washington"; "now is your chance"
- 2. luck, fortune, chance, hazard, phenomenon
- usage: an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another; "bad luck caused his downfall"; "we ran into each other by pure chance"
- 3. chance, risk, peril, danger
- usage: a risk involving danger; "you take a chance when you let her drive"
- 4. probability, chance, measure, quantity, amount
- usage: a measure of how likely it is that some event will occur; a number expressing the ratio of favorable cases to the whole number of cases possible; "the probability that an unbiased coin will fall with the head up is 0.5"
- 5. prospect, chance, potential, potentiality, potency
- usage: the possibility of future success; "his prospects as a writer are excellent"
- 1. chance, happen, hap, go on, pass off, occur, pass, fall out, come about, take place
- usage: be the case by chance; "I chanced to meet my old friend in the street"
- 2. gamble, chance, risk, hazard, take chances, adventure, run a risk, take a chance, try, seek, attempt, essay, assay
- usage: take a risk in the hope of a favorable outcome; "When you buy these stocks you are gambling"
- 3. find, happen, chance, bump, encounter
- usage: come upon, as if by accident; meet with; "We find this idea in Plato"; "I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here"; "She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day"
- 1. casual, chance(prenominal), unplanned (vs. planned)
- usage: occurring or appearing or singled out by chance; "seek help from casual passers-by"; "a casual meeting"; "a chance occurrence"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of chance (Dictionary)