- 1. chair, seat
- usage: a seat for one person, with a support for the back; "he put his coat over the back of the chair and sat down"
- 2. professorship, chair, position, post, berth, office, spot, billet, place, situation
- usage: the position of professor; "he was awarded an endowed chair in economics"
- 3. president, chairman, chairwoman, chair, chairperson, presiding officer
- usage: the officer who presides at the meetings of an organization; "address your remarks to the chairperson"
- 4. electric chair, chair, death chair, hot seat, instrument of execution
- usage: an instrument of execution by electrocution; resembles an ordinary seat for one person; "the murderer was sentenced to die in the chair"
- 5. chair, seat
- usage: a particular seat in an orchestra; "he is second chair violin"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. chair, chairman, head, lead
- usage: act or preside as chair, as of an academic department in a university; "She chaired the department for many years"
- 2. moderate, chair, lead, hash out, discuss, talk over
- usage: preside over; "John moderated the discussion"
All rights reserved.
See also: chair (Dictionary)