- 1. caustic, compound, chemical compound
- usage: any chemical substance that burns or destroys living tissue
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. acerb, acerbic, acid, acrid, bitter, blistering, caustic, sulfurous, sulphurous, virulent, vitriolic, unpleasant (vs. pleasant)
- usage: harsh or corrosive in tone; "an acerbic tone piercing otherwise flowery prose"; "a barrage of acid comments"; "her acrid remarks make her many enemies"; "bitter words"; "blistering criticism"; "caustic jokes about political assassination, talk-show hosts and medical ethics"; "a sulfurous denunciation"; "a vitriolic critique"
- 2. caustic, corrosive, erosive, vitriolic, mordant, destructive (vs. constructive)
- usage: of a substance, especially a strong acid; capable of destroying or eating away by chemical action
All rights reserved.
See also: caustic (Dictionary)