- 1. command, bid, bidding, dictation, speech act
- usage: an authoritative direction or instruction to do something
- 2. bidding, summons, invitation
- usage: a request to be present; "they came at his bidding"
- 3. bid, bidding, statement
- usage: (bridge) the number of tricks a bridge player is willing to contract to make
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. offer, bid, tender
- usage: propose a payment; "The Swiss dealer offered $2 million for the painting"
- 2. wish, bid, greet, recognize, recognise
- usage: invoke upon; "wish you a nice evening"; "bid farewell"
- 3. bid, beseech, entreat, adjure, press, conjure, plead
- usage: ask for or request earnestly; "The prophet bid all people to become good persons"
- 4. bid, call, play
- usage: make a demand, as for a card or a suit or a show of hands; "He called his trump"
- 5. bid, seek
- usage: make a serious effort to attain something; "His campaign bid for the attention of the poor population"
- 6. invite, bid, request
- usage: ask someone in a friendly way to do something
All rights reserved.
See also: bidding (Dictionary)