WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. axis, line
- usage: a straight line through a body or figure that satisfies certain conditions
- 2. axis, stalk, stem
- usage: the main stem or central part about which plant organs or plant parts such as branches are arranged
- 3. Axis, alliance, coalition, alignment, alinement
- usage: in World War II the alliance of Germany and Italy in 1936 which later included Japan and other nations; "the Axis opposed the Allies in World War II"
- 4. bloc, axis, alliance, coalition, alignment, alinement
- usage: a group of countries in special alliance
- 5. axis, axis vertebra, cervical vertebra, neck bone
- usage: the 2nd cervical vertebra; serves as a pivot for turning the head
- 6. axis, axis of rotation, mechanism
- usage: the center around which something rotates
All rights reserved.
See also: axis (Dictionary)