- 1. are, ar, area unit, square measure
- usage: a unit of surface area equal to 100 square meters
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. be
- usage: have the quality of being; (copula, used with an adjective or a predicate noun); "John is rich"; "This is not a good answer"
- 2. be
- usage: be identical to; be someone or something; "The president of the company is John Smith"; "This is my house"
- 3. be
- usage: occupy a certain position or area; be somewhere; "Where is my umbrella?" "The toolshed is in the back"; "What is behind this behavior?"
- 4. exist, be
- usage: have an existence, be extant; "Is there a God?"
- 5. be
- usage: happen, occur, take place; "I lost my wallet; this was during the visit to my parents' house"; "There were two hundred people at his funeral"; "There was a lot of noise in the kitchen"
- 6. equal, be
- usage: be identical or equivalent to; "One dollar equals 1,000 rubles these days!"
- 7. constitute, represent, make up, comprise, be
- usage: form or compose; "This money is my only income"; "The stone wall was the backdrop for the performance"; "These constitute my entire belonging"; "The children made up the chorus"; "This sum represents my entire income for a year"; "These few men comprise his entire army"
- 8. be, follow
- usage: work in a specific place, with a specific subject, or in a specific function; "He is a herpetologist"; "She is our resident philosopher"
- 9. embody, be, personify, typify, symbolize, symbolise, stand for, represent
- usage: represent, as of a character on stage; "Derek Jacobi was Hamlet"
- 10. be, take, occupy, use up
- usage: spend or use time; "I may be an hour"
- 11. be, live
- usage: have life, be alive; "Our great leader is no more"; "My grandfather lived until the end of war"
- 12. be, stay, remain, rest
- usage: to remain unmolested, undisturbed, or uninterrupted -- used only in infinitive form; "let her be"
- 13. cost, be, be
- usage: be priced at; "These shoes cost $100"
All rights reserved.
See also: are (Dictionary)