- 1. abridge, foreshorten, abbreviate, shorten, cut, contract, reduce, decrease, lessen, minify
- usage: reduce in scope while retaining essential elements; "The manuscript must be shortened"
- 2. abbreviate, reduce
- usage: shorten; "Abbreviate `New York' and write `NY'"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. abbreviated, brief, short (vs. long)
- usage: (of clothing) very short; "an abbreviated swimsuit"; "a brief bikini"
- 2. abbreviated, shortened, truncated, short (vs. long)
- usage: cut short in duration; "the abbreviated speech"; "her shortened life was clearly the result of smoking"; "an unsatisfactory truncated conversation"
All rights reserved.
See also: abbreviated (Dictionary)