Presidents' Day Quiz for Beginners
Who issued the Emancipation Proclamation?
- The Emancipation Proclamation, issued in 1862, began the process of freeing the slaves.
Who was the only president to resign from office?
- Facing the possibility of impeachment, Richard M. Nixon resigned in 1974.
What president said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"?
- John F. Kennedy spoke these famous words in his 1961 inaugural address.
Who is considered the author of the Declaration of Independence?
- Jefferson wrote most of the Declaration, which explained why the colonies wanted their freedom.
Who was president when the Berlin Wall fell and the Soviet Union dissolved?
- The Bush administration saw the end of the Cold War, as Communism ended in Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union broke apart.
What president had been a successful Hollywood actor?
- Ronald Reagan made his film debut in 1937 and went on to act in more than 50 movies.
What president had been an army general in World War II?
- During World War II, Eisenhower was the supreme commander of the Allied forces in Europe.
What president signed the Indian Removal Act, thus forcing Native Americans from their homelands?
- Jackson signed the act in 1831, evicting all Native Americans east of the Mississippi from their homelands and forcing them to move to westward.
What president had been a hero in the Spanish-American War?
- Teddy Roosevelt was famous as an adventurer, hunter, and the leader of the famous "Rough Riders" in the Spanish-American War.
What president's economic and social programs were known as the New Deal?
- The New Deal programs and policies sought to help a nation that struggled under the Great Depression.