Riddles in the Dark Quiz
What has roots as nobody sees / Is taller than trees / Up, up it goes / And yet never grows?
- Perhaps it's inaccurate to say one doesn't see the roots of mountains while in a deep subterranean cave. It's also definitely inaccurate to say mountains don't grow; many mountains grow at a very slow, rate.
Thirty white horses on a red hill / First they champ / Then they stamp / Then they stand still.
- The "red hill" being, of course, your gums. Bilbo might want to get checked out, though, since the average adult has more than 30 teeth.
Voiceless it cries / Wingless flutters / Toothless bites / Mouthless mutters.
- This one is probably a bit obvious in retrospect.
An eye in a blue face / Saw an eye in a green face. / "That eye is like to this eye" / Said the first eye / "But in low place / Not in high place."
- The yellow disc of the sun compared to the yellow disc of a daisy.
It cannot be seen, cannot be felt / Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt./ It lies behind stars and under hills / And empty holes it fills./ It comes first and follows after / Ends life, kills laughter.
- Ends life is a bit of a tricky one, since it sounds like Gollum is saying that the dark kills people. But, it can also be read as "what one experiences at the end of life," which is more accurate.
A box without hinges, key, or lid / Yet golden treasure inside is hid.
- Treasure golden and cholesterol-laden
Alive without breath / As cold as death / Never thirsty, ever drinking / All in mail never clinking
- Another one where there aren't many other seemingly viable answers, although the riddle itself can take a moment.
No-legs lay on one-leg / two-legs sat near on three-legs / four-legs got some
- We the quizmakers doubt that anyone outside of a fiction book would guess this from whole cloth.
This thing all things devours / Birds, beasts, trees, flowers / Gnaws iron, bites steel / Grinds hard stones to meal / Slays king, ruins town / And beats high mountain down.
- It is of course time, the course along which we trudge to the heat death of the universe.
What have I got in my pocket?
- This question, asked while fumbling to produce a proper riddle, is what ends the game when Gollum (rationally) can't answer.