Do You Know These Strange Fairytale Punishments?
What was the real punishment for the step sisters in Cinderella?
- At the end of the Grimm Brothers' version of Cinderella, the step sister are not only forced to be Cinderella's bridesmaids, but doves then peck their eyes out. They both suffer injuries when trying to fit in the slipper, as well.
What was the punishment for the witch in Hansel and Gretel?
- In the original Hansel and Gretel, Gretel pushes the witch into the oven and watches her burn before the two children escape. It is thought that the unpublished versions were even darker, but the Brothers Grimm tidied it up a bit.
What punishment happens to the Queen in Snow White?
- In the original Snow White, the evil Queen is invited to Snow White and the Prince's wedding, where she is forced to put on iron-hot slippers and dance in them until she falls down dead.
How did the frog actually turn in a prince in The Frog Prince?
- Though not exactly a punishment... the princess in The Frog Prince became so irritated with the frog, that she threw him against a wall. Her instant grief is what truly broke the spell and turned him back into a prince.
How is the evil mother-in-law punished in Perrault's Sleeping Beauty?
- The evil mother-in-law, and ogre in Perrault's version, tries to eat Sleeping Beauty and her two children. She is tricked by the cook and prepares to kill him in a tub of vipers, but instead falls in and dies herself.
What is the punishment for Rumpelstiltskin in the fairy tale with the same name?
- In the Brothers Grimm version of Rumpelstiltskin, Rumpelstiltskin is overcome with rage when the queen guesses his name, that he actually rips himself in two.
How did the king get punished in The Pied Piper of Hamelin?
- In the Brothers Grimm version of The Pied Piper of Hamelin, the pied piper lures away 130 children from the town after the king refuses to pay hiim the full sum for his service.
What happens to the sorceress in Rapunzel?
- In some versions of Rapunzel, the sorceress cuts off Rapunzel's hair to lure the prince to the tower, but after he falls, the sorceress drops the hair and is stranded in the tower for the rest of time.
What happens to the mermaid in the original Original Mermaid?
- In the Brothers Grimm version, the prince does not marry the mermaid, who is told she must kill him in order to change back into a mermaid. Unable to, she throws herself off the ship, turning into foam when she hits the water.
What happens to the beast in Beauty and the Beast before the two live happily ever after?
- In the original, the beast dies of shame after Belle leaves the first time, but her tears upon his death restore him to life and the two live happily ever after.