Which State Came First?
Which state was the latest to add an initiative process within its constitution in 1992?
- As the most recent state to incorporate an initiative process, the constitution of Mississippi was ratified in 1992.
In 1778, which state was the first to hold a state-wide legislative referendum?
- Legislative referendums let the residents of a state move for new rulings and law ratifications, and Massachusetts was the first to do so in the continental United States.
After a public vote and referendum in 1970, which state became the first to legalize abortions in early pregnancy?
- Though the history of abortions and the rights of pregnant individuals has been rocky, the people of Washington voted to legalize the procedure occurred first in 1970 to protect the health and life of the pregnant person.
Which state was the first in North American colonies of the time to legalize the slavery of those of African descent?
- Out of all North American colonies, the early state of Massachusetts became the first to allow indentured and lifetime servitude for people with African heritage or who had been brought directly from their homeland.
Which state was the first to join the Union in 1787?
- As the first to be admitted to the Union, the Crown Colony of Delaware became the state of Delaware in December of 1787 when they accepted the U.S. Declaration of Independence.
When it comes to the first state to legalize medical marijuana in 1996, do you know its name?
- Though not all states have yet adopted legal status for medical marijuana use, California became the first state to adopt the substance for treating medical issues, and later, for recreational use in 2016.
After the 1860 election of President Abraham Lincoln and his determination to eliminate slavery in the country, which state was the first to secede from the Union?
- Throughout the slave-holding South of the Union, Lincoln?s election spelled the beginning of the end for their way of life, causing disunion that started with South Carolina.
A congressional bill package called the Compromise of 1850 not only restricted the public sale of any slaves throughout the District of Columbia, but also brought which area of Mexican land into the Union as an official state?
- Along with other rulings, California was finally seen as the 31st state of the Union in September of 1850, instead of a Mexican territory.
In 2003, which state was the first to legalize same-sex marriage as having the same right, beginning to issue marriage licenses for these couples in 2004?
- While gay rights and same-sex marriage have faced ups and downs through the years, Massachusetts became the first state to fully legalize, officiate, and endorse the ability of such couples to marry? though, without the federal benefits.
During the early months of 1688, which of the following states had populations that supported the first resolution supporting anti-slavery in America?
- Pennsylvania?s Quaker population was actually the first group of individuals in the United States to put forward an official anti-slavery resolution, calling for the liberation of all suffering servitude.