How Well Do You Know Genghis Khan?
When was Genghis Khan born?
- Khan was born in 1162 in the grasslands where most people were illiterate. His father was leader of the tribe.
What was Genghis Khan's original name?
- Khan was originally born with the name Temujin, which translates to "blacksmith."
How old was Genghis Khan when he became a leader?
- Khan was 46 when he officially became a leader. However, it was the way of his tribe to learn young, with him killing his half brother at just 10 years old.
Which dynasty did Genghis Khan start?
- Khan started the Yuan Dynasty, eradicating most of Western Xia with just 50,000 troops. His children and grandchildren kept the dynasty alive for some time.
How large was the Khan's empire?
- At the time, Khan ruled the biggest empire of all time, reaching 5,210,000 square feet. That's 1/3 the size of Asia!
How many people is he responsible for killing?
- Khan killed anywhere from 20 to 40 million people, wiping out 5-10% of the population at the time.
How many descendants do scientists believe the Khan has?
- Scientists believe that Khan has at least 16 million male descendants, or at least 8% of the population is related to him. He had a harem of 3,000 women, and his grandson had upwards to 7,000.
When did the Khan die?
- Khan died in 1227. His grave's location is unknown, with there even being rumors that those who attended the funeral were later killed to preserve the secret location.
When did he become known as Genghis Khan?
- In 1206, he became a ruler, or Khan as people called them. He quickly adopted the name Genghis after.
How did the Khan die?
- Rumor has it, Khan died after a princess castrated him with a dagger as an act of revenge.