History of the Nobel Prize Quiz
How many Nobel Prizes are currently awarded each year?
- Prizes are awarded in physics, physiology or medicine, chemistry, literature, economics, and peace.
The amount of prize money awarded in 1901 was 150,782 Swedish Crowns. In 2009, what amount was awarded?
- This equals $1.4 million U.S. dollars.
When the Nobel Prize was established in 1901, there were only 5 awards. Which of these awards was added in 1968?
This is the country where the Nobel Prizes are awarded and also where Alfred Nobel was born:
- Nobel was born in Stockholm, Sweden in 1833. When he was 9 years old, he and his family moved to Russia.
The first woman to be awarded a Nobel Peace Prize was:
- Von Suttner was awarded the Peace Prize in 1905 and was perhaps the inspiration for the award itself. Von Suttner, who organized the Austrian Peace Society and wrote the landmark anti-war novel Die Waffen Nieder (Lay Down Your Arms), was a close friend of Alfred Nobel.
Which of the following is NOT true about Nobel Prizes?
- Currently, a Nobel Prize may only be awarded to a deceased person who has been named as prize winner for the year (usually in October) but who dies before the Prize Awarding Ceremony in December.
The Nobel Prize in Economics is really awarded by what institution?
- The Bank of Sweden (Sveriges Riksbank) instituted the "Bank of Sweden Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel" in 1968.
Alfred Nobel, for whom the award is named, was a chemist and inventor. Which of the following is NOT true about Nobel?
Which of the following is NOT true?
- Pacifist journalist Carl von Ossietzky did receive and accept the 1935 peace prize, which Hitler considered to be a slap in the face.
What do the winners of the Nobel Prizes receive?