The Golden Age of Piracy
Who was the most famous pirate of the Golden Age?
- Although there were many notorious pirates during this time, Blackbeard's reputation was legendary. He was known for his fierce appearance, which included wearing lit fuses in his beard.
What was a letter of marque?
- A letter of marque was essentially a license to become a privateer, which was a legitimate way to attack, capture, and loot enemy ships during times of war.
What was the name of the famous fictional pirate who had a wooden leg in "Treasure Island"?
- A fictional character from Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island", Long John Silver is often used as a stereotypical representation of a pirate.
Which of the following was NOT a weapon used by pirates during the Golden Age?
- Although pirates were known for their brutal tactics, they didn't have access to things like the guillotine.
What was the name of the pirate who was known for capturing over 400 ships?
- Bartholomew Roberts was one of the most successful pirates of the Golden Age, though his career lasted only a few years.
Which famous pirate was captured and hanged in London in 1701?
- Captain Kidd was originally a privateer, but he turned to piracy and was eventually caught and executed.
What was the most common way for pirates to communicate with other ships?
- Semaphore flags is correct. Pirates used a system of flags to communicate with other ships, which allowed them to convey messages from a distance.
Which pirate was known for having a crew that was made up entirely of women?
- Anne Bonny was a fierce pirate who sailed alongside her partner, Calico Jack, and another female pirate, Mary Read.
What was the name of the famous flag with a skull and crossbones on it?
- The Jolly Roger was the iconic flag used by many pirates during the Golden Age, and it often struck fear into the hearts of their victims.
Which of the following was NOT a major pirate stronghold during the Golden Age?
- Although Plymouth was an important port during the 17th and 18th centuries, it was not a major pirate stronghold.