Decade Quiz 1950s
Which song won the first Grammy Award, in 1958?
- Modugno's song won the Grammy in 1958.
Which key event in the black civil rights movement happened in 1954?
- The other events occurred prior to the Congressional acceptance of this civil rights bill.
Where did Ike send U.S. Marines in July 1958, after proposing in his Eisenhower Doctrine that military and economic aid be sent to Middle Eastern nations against Communist aggression?
- Ike sent military aid to Lebanon.
Roughly how many Hula-Hoops did creator Wham-O sell in 1958?
- There were a whopping 100 million Hula Hoops circling in 1958.
Which of the following did not make its first appearance in the 1950s?
- Silly Putty first made the scene in 1949.
The 1994 movie Quiz Show was based on the scandalous rigging of which popular '50s show?
- The show was short-lived, running from 1956 to 1958.
Who was not selected by NASA as one of the seven Mercury astronauts
- Though Neil Armstrong was first to walk on the moon, he was not among those chosen for the first U.S. staffed space program.
Which state became the new home to two New York baseball teams, the Dodgers and the Giants, after the 1957 season?
- Brooklyn lost the Dodgers to L.A., while the Giants relocated to San Francisco.
Which year saw the publication of literary classics Dr. Zhivago, On the Road, and The Cat in the Hat?
- John Cheever's The Wapshot Chronicle was also published in 1957.
Frank Sinatra appeared in twenty movies during the '50s. Which of these films is not one of them?
- Sinatra appeared in all three films. The Manchurian Candidate, however, was not released until 1962.