US Natural Landmarks Quiz
This national park in Utah is known for its peculiar rock formations.
- Arches National Park is located in Utah, next to the Colorado River. The park has over 2,000 arches and the road through the park is 18 miles.
This Oregon lake was created when a volcano collapsed thousands of years ago.
- Crater Lake, which was formed by a collapsed volcano 7,700 years ago, resides in Oregon. The lake is one of the least polluted in the world, as it is fed exclusively by snow and rain.
This Alaska national park was involved in a contentious naming dispute until 2015.
- Denali National Park is located in Alaska and is one of the most popular mountains to ascend. Mountaineers must register with the Park 60 days before they plan their ascent.
This famous wetland is home to many species of wading birds and reptiles, often observed by tourists on airboats.
- Everglades National Park is located in Florida and encompasses 1.5 million acres of wetland.
Where is the Grand Canyon located?
- Stretching over 277 miles, the Grand Canyon located in Arizona is one of the most distinguishable US landmarks. The canyon is divided into three areas: the South Rim, the North Rim, the West Rim.
Where is the majority of Yellowstone National Park located?
- Yellowstone National Park is located in three different states; however 96% is located in Wyoming. The other 4% is located in Idaho and Montana.
Several people have attempted to take a tumble down this massive waterfall on the Canadian border.
- Located in New York, Niagra Falls marks the border between the US and Canada. There are three different falls in Niagra Falls: Horseshoe Falls, American Falls, and Bridal Veil Falls.
This Colorado Park is best known for its huge hogback formations (a type of narrow ridge).
- Dedicated as a national landmark in 1971, Garden of the Gods is located in Colorado and has over 15 miles of hiking or rock climbing available. Colorado is also home to the Rocky Mountain National Park and the Great Sand Dunes.
Where are the Mendenhall Ice Caves located?
- The Mendenhall Ice Caves are located 12 miles away from Alaska's capital Juneau. The caves are formed by the meltwater coming from the Mendenhall Glacier, which means they are constantly changing.
This New Hampshire mountain holds the record for the highest windspeed every directly observed by a human.
- Mount Washington, despite its fairly modest height, is infamous for its extreme weather. An observer on the mountain in 1934 measured a 234 mile per hour wind, a record that was only toppled in 1996 at an unmanned station in Australia.