Seven Wonders of the Ancient World Quiz
Which pharaoh was the Great Pyramid of Giza built for?
- This massive funeral structure is one of the most well-known in the world, and one of the few remaining Wonders of the Ancient World.
Which Greek pantheon god was depicted in the massive statue that towered over those who wanted to worship in Olympia?
- It was later destroyed by a fire that ravaged the temple in 462 AD.
Which Ancient Greek god was the Colossus of Rhodes built to honor?
- The massive statue was created for Helios and erected between 292 and 280 BC.
Which female individual did King Nebuchadnezzar II supposedly create the Hanging Gardens of Babylon for?
- These incredible hanging gardens were a gift for the king's wife, Amytis, to remind her of her lush homeland of Media.
Which present-day Middle Eastern country was the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus located in?
- It was erected near the modern city of Bodrum between 353 and 350 BC.
Where was the Temple of Artemis located in the ancient world?
- Now located in modern Turkey, Ephesus was an important location for religious matters.
Who was buried in the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus?
- The tomb was built to house an Anatolian man and his wife (who was also his sister), named Mausolus and Artemisia of Caria, respectively.
Who built the original Temple of Artemis around 550 BC?
- And after it was burned down by a dissident, the temple was rebuilt in 356 BC. But sadly, it didn't last until the present day.
What year did the Library of Alexandria burn during the civil war in Egypt, when Julius Caesar's troops were present?
- While this was likely not the end of the structure, historians attest to great damage to both the building and its contents.
What Wonder of the Ancient World was situated on the Island of Pharos?
- Built opposite the Egyptian city of Alexandria on the small island of Pharos, the Lighthouse was an important structure in the ancient world.