Name That Scary Story
What is the name of the story by Washington Irving that details a ghostly horseman without a head, and the town's attempts to placate the spirit?
- Adapted into several movies and TV series, this classic tale hasn't stopped sending chills down audiences' spines.
What is the name of this novel-turned-movie that follows a post-apocalyptic protagonist who can't see— not because of blindness, but due to the horrible creatures roaming the world?
- Written by Josh Malerman, this story is a creepy peek into a different type of apocalypse that removes some of our senses.
What is the name of H.P. Lovecraft's short story that first featured a huge, tentacled, and ancient god?
- Lovecraft's iconic and horrific deity first appeared in his story in Weird Tales magazine in 1928.
A family remains trapped in a home that doesn't have the best intentions for them, including after death, as "silence lay steadily against the wood and stone." What is the name of this story?
- Now adapted into a stunning Netflix series, Shirley Jackson's novel actually originated many popular horror tropes, including the classic mysterious locked door in a haunted house.
A strange novel that weaves through the story of a family living in a labyrinthine home, the writing itself takes on a labyrinth quality, defying the reader's logic on each page. What's it called?
- Told in a non-linear way, with footnotes, redactions, and annotations, "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski is a strange and fascinating read.
What is the title of Harlan Ellison's short story that spirals around five apocalypse survivors existing under the torture of an AI supercomputer overlord, ending in disaster?
- A disconcerting reading experience, this story is claustrophobic and stifling, just like how the characters feel within the narrative.
What is the title of Neil Gaiman's graphic novel that follows the effects of the eerie Dream King, a cosmic force that is making amends?
- This is a great read for those who like dark lore and modern mythology, giving many audiences the creeps.
The expectant mother in this story soon realizes that things are not as they seem, particularly after the birth of her child— or is it really all hers?
- With a demonic claim on this new mother's baby, this tale tackles feelings of alienation and difficult parenthood while giving readers plenty of scares.
A seminal work of vampire fiction, what is the title of this book that follows a group of aristocratic undead as they navigate centuries with humans and their own kind?
- Gothic horror and vampire romanticism combine in Anne Rice's incredible novel, immortalized in film by Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, and Kirsten Dunst.
What is the name of this iconic novel that includes an undead cat, a busy trucking road, and a Native American curse on a burial ground?
- Along with other titles like "It", "The Shining", "Carrie", and others, "Pet Sematary" is one of Stephen King's most famous and spine-chilling stories.