This was likely the largest carnivorous dinosaur.
- Tyrannosaurus Rex, also known as T-Rex, means "king of the tyrant lizard." The T-Rex is one of the largest carnivorous dinosaurs, coming in at 13 feet high (because it never fully stood erect) and 40 feet long.
Unlike popular depictions, this dinosaur was only a few feet tall.
- The Velociraptor, known as the Speedy Thief, It is believed that the Velociraptor was the size of a small turkey. Their arms were too short to allow them to fly, however.
This dinosaur was likely semiaquatic like crocodiles and alligators.
- Spinosaurus are huge creatures, about 50 feet long and weighing 7 tons. This creature has a tail that allows it to swim, making it the first known swimming dinosaur. Spinosaurus is also the largest carnivorous dinosaur that has been discovered.
What dinosaur is this?
- The name allosaurus means "different lizard," and it was among one of the first fossil discoveries. Allosaurus have hollow bones and an hourglass figure that reduced their bone strength but made them lighter for other activities.
This dinosaur was first believed to be semiaquatic due to its huge size.
- Brachiosaurus fossils were found in North America, but the creature was not like other dinosaurs in the region. This species looks like a giraffe and its forelegs were longer than its hind legs. Brachiosaurus means "arm lizard."
This dinosaur is famous for its strange skeletal structure.
- Diplodocus is one of the longest dinosaurs and it has an unusual bone structure with two rows of bones on the underside of its tail. The neck of a Diplodocus was at least 21 feet long and the tail is thought to be even longer.
This dinosaur was caught up in a long species debate with the Brontosaurus.
- Apatosaurus is known as the "deceptive lizard." This creature is believed to be one of the largest to ever roam the Earth, reaching 75 feet tall and weighing 20 tons. Many features about the Apatosaurus are still debated today.
This dinosaur was named for its claws.
- Therizinosaurus is known as the "scythe lizard" because of its claw-like hands. This creature can get up to 33 feet long and weigh 5 tons.
It was recently determined that this dinosaur could fly.
- Archaeopteryx was long known to have feathers and very birdlike qualities, but it wasn't until recently that scientists decided it could fly. Its manner of flight is supposed to be quite different from that of modern birds.
This dinosaur was discovered in 1993.
- Giganotosaurus is thought to be even larger than the T-Rex. Giganotosaurus is Greek for "giant southern lizard." They are believed to have walked upright on two legs and run at a speed of 31.3 mph.