Updated February 11, 2017 | Infoplease Staff
- C = ?d, in which ? is 3.1416 and d the diameter.
- A = (ab)/2 , in which a is the base and b the height.
- A = a2, in which a is one of the sides.
- A = ab, in which a is the base and b the height.
- A = (h(a + b))/2, in which h is the height, a the longer parallel side, and b the shorter.
- Regular pentagon:
- A = 1.720a2, in which a is one of the sides.
- Regular hexagon:
- A = 2.598a2, in which a is one of the sides.
- Regular octagon:
- A = 4.828a2, in which a is one of the sides.
- A = ?r2, in which ? is 3.1416 and r the radius.
- V = a3, in which a is one of the edges.
- Rectangular prism:
- V = abc, in which a is the length, b is the width, and c the depth.
- V = (Ah)/3, in which A is the area of the base and h the height.
- V = ?r2h, in which ? is 3.1416, r the radius of the base, and h the height.
- V = (?r2h)/3, in which ? is 3.1416, r theradius of the base, and h the height.
- V = (4?r3)/3, in which ? is 3.1416 and r the radius.
- Degrees Fahrenheit to Degrees Celsius:
- TC = 5/9 (TF ? 32)
- Degrees Celsius to Degrees Fahrenheit:
- TF = 9/5 TC + 32
- Degrees Celsius to Kelvins:
- TK = TC + 273.15
- Distance in feet traveled by falling body:
- d = 16t2, in which t is the time in seconds.
- Speed of sound in feet per second through any given temperature of air:
- take the square root of (273 + t), in which t is the temperature Centigrade, multiply it by 1087, and divide the result by 16.52.
- Cost in cents of operation of electrical device:
- C = (Wtc)/1000, in which W is the number of watts,t the time in hours, and c the cost in cents per kilowatt-hour.
- Conversion of matter into energy (Einstein's Theorem):
- E = mc2, in which E is the energy in ergs, m the mass of the matter in grams, and c the speed of light in centimeters per second: (c2 = 9 1020)