Glossary of Chemical Terms - T
- A naturally occurring compound (extracted from the bark of the Pacific yew tree) that has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treating advanced breast or ovarian cancers.
- A measure of the average kinetic energy of a substance. Determines the direction of heat transfer.
- A substance that causes fetal abnormalities.
- A principle that explains a body of facts and the laws based on them.
- The study of energy and its transformation.
- A procedure for quantitative analysis by carrying out a reaction in solution by measurement of volumes using a reactant of known concentration.
- A unit of pressure equal to 1 mmHg or 1/760 of an atmosphere.
- The degree to which a substance is poisonous.
- A group of three elements whose chemical and physical properties aresomewhat related.
- A rare isotope of hydrogen with one proton and two neutrons.
- The lowest part of the earth's atmosphere, extending from the surface of the planet to the bottom of the stratosphere.
Glossary created by David Shaw (Madison Area Technical College) for The Chemistry Place.
Information Please Chemistry Place, 2005 Pearson Education, Inc. All Rights Reserved.