Iowa, University of
Iowa, University of, at Iowa City state supported coeducational chartered 1847, opened 1855. It has a noted program in the creative arts, including the Iowa Writers' Workshop, one of the most prestigious U.S. creative writing programs, attracting teachers and students from all over the world. It also operates the Lakeside Laboratory for the biological sciences, the Center for New Music, and the Center for Asian and Pacific Studies.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-