Newport, Welsh Casnewydd, city and unitary authority (1991 pop. 129,900), 74 sq mi (191 sq km), SE Wales, on the Usk River. Lumber, tea, automobiles, electronics, semiconductors, and aircraft are made; steel and various other metals, paper, and chemicals are manufactured. Newport was first granted a charter in 1385. In 1839, Newport was the scene of Chartist riots (see Chartism ). Long a county borough (a district from 1974 to 1996), Newport was made a city in 2002. The Church of St. Woollos, partly Norman, is the cathedral of the Monmouth diocese. Campuses of the Univ. of South Wales are there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: British and Irish Political Geography