City (1990 pop. 44,685), Placer co., N central Calif., a suburb of Sacramento in the foothills of the Sierras inc. 1909. Marked by rapid growth in the late 20th cent., Roseville is in an agricultural area whose products include fruits, grain (especially rice), walnuts, cattle, sheep, and turkeys. Apiary products, adhesives, printing and construction machinery, electronic components, lab instruments, computer equipment, and wine are also produced.
City (1990 pop. 51,412), Macomb co., SE Mich., a residential suburb of Detroit, near Lake St. Clair inc. as a village 1926, as a city 1958. Its industries include machinery, metal plating, military electronics, auto trim, precast concrete, scrap metal processing, and a nonferrous metals foundry.
City (1990 pop. 33,485), Ramsey co., SE Minn., a suburb of St. Paul inc. 1948. Plastic flower pots, metals, thermal remediation equipment, school emblems, and computer equipment are manufactured.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-