Village (1990 pop. 18,876), Cook co., NE Ill., a residential suburb of Chicago inc. 1893. The noted Chicago Zoological Park (Brookfield Zoo) is there.
City (1990 pop. 35,184), Waukesha co., SE Wis., a suburb of Milwaukee inc. 1954. With its iron foundries and light manufacturing, the city has undergone suburban expansion since 1975.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-