Caravaca de la Cruz
Caravaca de la Cruz kärävä´kä dā lä kro͞os [key], town (1990 pop. 23,241), Murcia prov., SE Spain, in Murcia, on the Caravaca River. It is a farm center for an area producing cereals, potatoes, fruits, and grapes. It has textile, footwear, and brandy manufactures. The miraculous Cross of Caravaca, taken from the Moors in 1241 by Ferdinand III of Castile, was formerly kept in the Church of the Most Holy Cross (1617). Many ancient remains have been found in the area.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Spanish and Portuguese Political Geography