Rovereto rōvārĕ´tō [key], town (1991 pop. 32,923), in Trentino–Alto Adige, N Italy, on the Adige River. It is an agricultural and industrial center. Manufactures include machinery, silk, and chemicals. Rovereto was taken (15th cent.) from the bishopric of Trent by Venice, which ceded it to Austria in 1517. A part of the S Tyrol, it passed to Italy in 1919. Of note are a 14th-century castle and the Church of San Marco (15th–17th cent.).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Italian Political Geography