Alexandropolis l?ksndro?opl?s [key], city (1991 pop. 52,556), capital of Evros prefecture, NE Greece, W Thrace, a seaport on the Gulf of Ainos, an inlet of the Aegean Sea. It is near the Turkish frontier. Alexandropolis is a commercial center with rail connections to Thessalonki and Edirne; wheat, cotton, rice, tobacco, salt, and dairy products are traded. Originally called Dedeagach, it developed from a small fishing village after 1871. It supplanted the older port of Enos upon the completion (1896) of the Thessalonki-?stanbul RR. The city suffered greatly at the hands of the Bulgarians in both World Wars. It was ceded to Greece in 1919, and it was renamed for King Alexander of Greece.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Greek Political Geography