Villach fĭl´äkh [key], city (1991 pop. 54,640), Carinthia province, S Austria, on the Drava River. An industrial and rail center, it manufactures wood products, cellulose, machinery, and chemicals. Nearby is a mineral spa. Originally Roman, Villach belonged to the bishopric of Bamberg from the early 11th cent. to 1759, when it passed to Austria. The city has Gothic and baroque churches and a museum with prehistoric artifacts.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Austria Political Geography