Saginaw săg´ĭnô [key], city (1990 pop. 69,512), seat of Saginaw co., S Mich., on the Saginaw River, 15 mi (24 km) from its mouth on Saginaw Bay (an inlet of Lake Huron); settled 1816, inc. 1857. Situated in an extensive agricultural area, Saginaw is also a port of entry. Machinery, animal feeds, metal products, automobile parts, concrete, and electrical equipment are manufactured, and there is food processing. Nearby are salt, coal, and oil deposits. Native American trails once crossed the city's site, and local native villages were abundant. Lewis Cass negotiated a treaty there (1819) with the indigenous groups, who ceded much of Michigan to the United States. Fur trade was followed by a great pine-lumbering industry, which thrived until about 1890. Saginaw Valley State Univ. is there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography