Fremont frē´mŏnt [key]
City (1990 pop. 173,339), Alameda co., W Calif., on San Francisco Bay; inc. 1956. Long an agricultural center, with champagne vineyards founded (1870) by Leland Stanford
, it still ships fruits and vegetables. Its economy was transformed in the 1960s, however, after General Motors opened a huge automobile assembly plant, later part of a joint venture with Toyota Motor Corp. Toyota closed the plant in 2010; Tesla Motors is now located there. With the addition of computer, semiconductor, and electronics industries, Fremont became one of the fastest growing U.S. cities. Mission San Jose de Guadalupe (1797) has been restored as a museum. The city is home to the California School for the Deaf and a large aquatic park.
2 City (1990 pop. 23,680), seat of Dodge co., E central Nebr., on the Platte River; inc. 1858. It is a trade, shipping, and processing center for a grain-growing, dairying, and grazing prairie area. Midland Lutheran College is there.
3 City (1990 pop. 17,648), seat of Sandusky co., N Ohio, on the Sandusky River; inc. 1849. It is a trade and industrial center in an agricultural region specializing in sugar-beet processing and canning. The battle of Fort Stephenson was fought there (1813) during the War of 1812. Shipbuilding was an early industry. The house and tomb of President Rutherford B. Hayes (a state memorial) are in Spiegel Grove State Park.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2023, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography