George, Lake, glacial lake, 33 mi (53 km) long and 1 to 3 mi (1.6–5 km) wide, in the foothills of the Adirondack Mts., NE N.Y.; it drains NE via rapids and waterfalls into Lake Champlain. The lake was discovered in 1646 by Isaac Jogues, a French Jesuit missionary, who named it Lac du St. Sacrement; the English colonial leader Sir William Johnson renamed it for the king of England in 1755. During the French and Indian Wars and the American Revolution , the area around Lake George was the scene of many battles. The ruins of Fort George (built 1759) and Fort William Henry are at the southern end of the lake; historic Fort Ticonderoga, a national historic landmark, is at the northern end. Lake George, with numerous small islands, is noted for its scenery. The lake and the adjacent village of Lake George remain a center of a resort area that attracts tourists and vacationers year-round.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Physical Geography