Engels ĕng´gĭls [key], city (1989 pop. 181,000), E European Russia, a port on the Volga River. It has a large chemical fiber complex. Founded by Ukrainian settlers, it was a major destination of German settlers during the reign of Catherine the Great. The city was called Pokrovsk until 1931. It was the capital (1924–41) of the German Volga Autonomous SSR.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: CIS and Baltic Political Geography