Innwa or Inwa, formerly Ava ä´və [key], village, central Myanmar, on the Ayeyarwady River, 10 mi (16 km) S of Mandalay. Founded in 1364, it was the capital of a dynasty of Burmese kings until 1783 (when it was replaced by Amarapura ) and again from 1823 to 1837. The ruins of its former great palace and walls remain.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Myanmar Political Geography