His other novels include The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith (1972, film 1978), A Family Madness (1985), To Asmara (1989), Woman of the Inner Sea (1993), A River Town (1995), Office of Innocence (2003), The Tyrant's Novel (2004), The Daughters of Mars (2013), and Shame and the Captives (2015). He has also written several nonfiction works they include The Great Shame (1999), which explores the fates of the 19th-century Irish forced to immigrate to Australia American Scoundrel (2002), a biography of Daniel Sickles A Commonwealth of Thieves (2006), the story of Australia's beginnings as a colony for transported prisoners and Three Famines (2011), a study of the causes of 19th- and 20th-century famines.
See studies by P. Quartermaine (1991) and P. Pierce (1995).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Australian and New Zealand Literature: Biographies
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-