Swanee.In addition to a great number of songs, he wrote the scores for several musicals, including George White's Scandals (1920), Lady, Be Good! (1924), Oh, Kay! (1926), Funny Face (1927), Girl Crazy (1930), and George S. Kaufman's Of Thee I Sing (1931 Pulitzer Prize).
In many compositions Gershwin combined traditional musical forms with jazz and folk themes and rhythms. They include Rhapsody in Blue (1924), a symphonic jazz composition for jazz band, piano, and orchestra the Piano Concerto in F (1925) An American in Paris (1928), a tone poem incorporating elements of jazz as well as realistic sound effects Porgy and Bess (1935 from the book by Dubose Heyward), a folk opera about African-American life, which includes the famous song
Summertime and Three Preludes (1936), for the piano. Gershwin also composed music for Hollywood films.
rhymed conversation that he wrote to his brother's music includes the words for
But Not for Me,
I've Got a Crush on You, and
'S Wonderful. After George Gershwin's death, Ira collaborated with such composers as Kurt Weill , Jerome Kern , and Harold Arlen .
See biographies by I. Goldberg (new ed. 1958), D. Ewen (rev. ed. 1970), E. Jablonski (1987), W. G. Hyland (2003), and H. Pollack (2006) C. Schwartz, Gershwin: His Life and Music (1973) R. Kimball and A. Simon, The Gershwins (1973) I. Gershwin, Lyrics on Several Occasions (1959, repr. 1997) E. Jablonski and L. D. Steward, The Gershwin Years (rev. ed. 1973) R. Kimball, ed., The Complete Lyrics of Ira Gershwin (1993) P. Furia, Ira Gershwin, The Art of the Lyricist (1995).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Music: History, Composers, and Performers: Biographies
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-